[LUAU] Re: Python, Plone, Zope3, etc...

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 00:56:44 PST 2005

--- 2020 2020 <josh_0b11111010101 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is Plone that difficult?  I am working with "The
> Definitive Guide to Plone".  Not in the advanced
> stages yet though.

Not really difficult.  More a nightmare to maintain.  At first
it's not too bad, but then it hurts you when you realise all
this "Through The Web" development stuff needs to be re-done in
the file system and managed through version control.  Bookmark
this post and if you decide to pursue Plone/Zope further, don't
say I didn't warn you :P.

I forget the quote but it goes something like "Plone/Zope makes
difficult things simple but simple things difficult."

> I didn't know about TurboGears and Django but I'm
> looking them up right now.  I was learning Perl for a
> while.  I have used some PHP-based CMS but I am
> learning Python and thought I would try to go that
> route.  Plone/Zope has a lot of books written about it
> and seems like it doesn't have many limitations.  I
> figured that the large number of published books about
> it was a good sign...

.. If you want to get into Zope, get into Zope3.  Zope3 is
re-written from scratch and aims to fix the problems and build
on what was learnt from Zope2.  There's a good online book out
there that I took a look at.  I forget what it's called....  OK,
it's The Zope 3 Developers Book - An Introduction for Python
Programmers
(http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FrontPage/Zope3Book)

Let me know how you go.

Later,