[LUAU] Re: Hosef

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 18:38:11 PST 2005

--- Jim Thompson <jim at netgate.com> wrote:
> Julian, I'm really looking forward to you being on-island.

... Yes, it won't be long now. :P  Look forward to meeting
yourself and others too.  I've only been following the lists for
a short while but I've read through the archives.

> Python (and perhaps Ruby) are about as close as it gets to
> Lisp without
> plunging headlong into the rabbit hole of executable data
> (Lisp
> macros).   If we're going to sign up to something, it might as
> well be
> Python (and perhaps Ruby).

I'd agree.  Python vs. Ruby has greater popularity, is more
pervasive (especially in Linux (eg. Try running "find /usr/share
| grep '.py$'" on a Fedora/Redhat machine)), is arguably simpler
to teach/learn...  Python is just very universal.

Ruby on the other hand has Rails (http://rubyonrails.com) and
Ruby has an upcoming community.  Many people (like me) learn
Ruby because of Rails.

> For those of you who haven't done the requisite Google search,
> here is
> Julian's blog: http://julianyap.blogspot.com/

Disclaimer: Please excuse any content of dubious nature you may
find on the internet. :)