[LUAU] The VC Squeeze, Desktop Linux and Hawaii's future

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Thu Nov 10 17:21:16 PST 2005

Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:

> Jim Thompson wrote:
>
>> Just some ideas, a bit more "bomb throwing" @ 4am.
>
> As someone who is looking at his career/life from a rearview mirror, I
> probably should keep my mouth shut.  But we used to represent an
> out-of-state VC, and it was equally frustrating for us to try to find
> good candidates here.

There are no "out of state VCs", they don't want to live that far from
their investment(s).

> One suggestion I may make is to loiter at MIC at least once a while.
> Digital Islands, WordPlace, and a bunch of other tech companies all
> started there.  Actually I used to chat with founders of DI and WP
> when both were essentially on-man ops.  I understand that MIC is
> getting very crowded now.  & it's good to know.

yes, this kind of communication and cultural exchange is vital (and from
what I can tell after 16 months on island, mostly lacking.)

> As you are aware, different VCs have different operational
> philosophies.  This particular VC that we were associated with was
> mostly interested in acquiring companies with a good "market access".
> Hawaii itself is a very small market, but there is something else that
> makes Hawaii potentially a very big market.  I don't want to go into
> it, but I believe you know what I am talking about.

VCs don't acquire companies, well, not until they're in a "death spiral"
(typified by taking cash with too many ugly conditions).   The type of
firm you describe is typical known as a "private equity investment
firm".  KK&R is a prime example.

> Another hot topic in the VC circle that I am familiar with is the
> "China-connection".  It's very difficult to imagine that some country
> (if you combine China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan) could amsss a cash
> reserve in excess of $1 trillion USD in such a short period of time.
> This number is too big to make any sense to most of us.  But to many
> VCs, it does.  & one of the keys of getting some VCs interested is
> probably to develop a product/technology that will sell in China.  If
> anyone can combine China and Japan in the same conversation, it's even
> better.  (US companies oursource software development to India, &
> Japanese companies to China, more particularly to the city of Dalian.
> This is something to keep in mind.)

You appear to want to only pursue the "big markets" by making "products"
that they want to "buy".  I think you're stuck in the 90s, man.  :-)

> Now the question, what will sell in China, especially wrt to open
> source software?  A few years back, when I mentioned Linux or Red Hat
> or Mandrake or whatever in China, no one knew what I was talking
> about.  Nowadays, everyone wants to show/sell me the Linux-based
> technology that have developed (& I am suddenly reduced to a
> technoignoramus--don't laugh, they apply the same label to anyone from
> the US who mentions Linux).
>
> Thus, how to define a "sellable" technology is something that needs to
> be diligently discussed.  One of the reasons that I am interested in
> Solaris/OpenSolaris is that not too many people are aware of it, yet.
> Will that get me somewhere?  I don't know.  But I feel prouder talking
> about OpenSolaris than Linux, that's for sure.   Wayne

The perfect market theory says that you're not going to gain much here.
If OpenSolaris is better than Linux (and I'm not saying it isn't) and if
a "better mousetrap" wins in the market, then, since there is no barrier
to entry for people adopting OpenSolaris, then you might have a window
of as much as six months.