[LUAU] Re: Hosef

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Wed Nov 9 16:59:06 PST 2005

2020 2020 wrote:

>I was traveling for 1 1/2 years and just got back to
>Hawaii last week.  I noticed that Linux users groups
>in other places were not very organized.  In the
>places I visited it wasn't from lack of interest, but
>from lack of direction/leadership (one person who sets
>the date, location, topic).

In Hawaii his name is Scott.

>In one city they were setting up a kiosk at the mall so people could try Linux, and then come to install sessions on the following weekend.  I don't know how that turned out though.
>

>I am hoping to take some programming classes at UH or KCC next semester.  I'm trying to learn
>Python/Plone/Zope, but am interested in anything relating to computers (preferably Linux/open-source).

I don't find any CS like classes at KCC.  The closest I found at UH is
ICS 415, but it appears to be Java+Javascript+a smattering of XML and HTML.

HOSEF held a PHP class taught by a local wizard (Kevin English) once,
but I've never been able to get them to repeat the class.

>I also heard something about a local Ruby users group?

Google finds this:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/6e7a429efaf8946e

Anthony Eden (http://allthings.mp/) is a good guy.   I met him at
TPOSSCON last year (we also saw each other at O'Reilly's ETech).  Turns
out I know his brother (Darrin), who lives in Portland (via Portland's
"community wireless" group.)

 I'm interested in finding, or forming a local LISP users group, but
after 30 years of 'C', perl, tcl, C++, FORTRAN
and a heap of things you probably haven't heard of,, all but LISP is
crap to  me.   Ruby and Python are but weak forms of LISP with
crutch-like syntax 'helpers' (neither has macros (in the LISP sense of
the word), nor will their 'syntax' allow same).

Does anyone know if "Soft Warehouse" is still on-island?  (They made the
symbolic math stuff found in the more advanced TI calculators.)

jim