[LUAU] Re: Hosef

2020 2020 josh_0b11111010101 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 15:54:59 PST 2005

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 19:03:02 -1000
> From: Jim Thompson <jim at netgate.com>
> Subject: Re: [LUAU] Hosef
> To: LUAU <luau at lists.hosef.org>
>

> LUAU (Linux Users AnonymoUs) is mostly (at this
> point) a mailing list
> (hosted on HOSEF's server) for linux, free and open
> source advocacy in
> Hawaii.  There used to be meetings, but these have
> largely died out.
> (Much like many other Linux advocacy groups on the
> mainland and elsewhere.)

I was traveling for 1 1/2 years and just got back to
Hawaii last week.  I noticed that Linux users groups
in other places were not very organized.  In the
places I visited it wasn't from lack of interest, but
from lack of direction/leadership (one person who sets
the date, location, topic).  In one city they were
setting up a kiosk at the mall so people could try
Linux, and then come to install sessions on the
following weekend.  I don't know how that turned out
though.

> You might be interested in the Cyberpizza events:
> http://www.cyberpizzahawaii.com/upcoming.html
>
> Are you living in the islands now?
>
> Jim

I live in Honolulu.  I'll check out the Cyberpizza
events.  I am hoping to take some programming classes
at UH or KCC next semester.  I'm trying to learn
Python/Plone/Zope, but am interested in anything
relating to computers (preferably Linux/open-source).
I also heard something about a local Ruby users group?