[LUAU] Hosef

James A. Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Tue Nov 8 22:31:38 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 19:03 -1000, Jim Thompson wrote:
> 2020 2020 wrote:
<snip>
> >Is this the local Linux users group?  Are there
> >regular meetings?  I am interested in meeting other
> >people who use Linux...
> >
> >Josh
> >

> Hi Josh,
>
> HOSEF is the Hawaii Open Source Education Foundation.  Its goals are
> largely centered around evangelizing OSS throughout the State of Hawaii,
> with particular emphasis (currently, at least) on Hawaii's DOE and its
> constituent schools.   HOSEF has installed several "labs" in various
> schools around the island of Oahu.  (I don't know of any current HOSEF
> installations on a neighbor island.)

We did do an install at a Waldorf school on the Big Island a year to two
ago.  And there is a Big Island LUG, though I don't know how active they
have been recently.

> LUAU (Linux Users AnonymoUs) is mostly (at this point) a mailing list
> (hosted on HOSEF's server) for linux, free and open source advocacy in
> Hawaii.  There used to be meetings, but these have largely died out.
> (Much like many other Linux advocacy groups on the mainland and elsewhere.)

Jim, is that true? Did Netcraft confirm it? Lugs are dead?

> Ubuntu is a nice distro, its everything Debian should have been (and
> more).   Too bad the Debian people fell asleep at the wheel.   There is
> a lot of local advocacy for Fedora Core, due to some involvement in the
> Fedora project by folks at UH.

Ah, an opening for a distro war.  I don't  think Debian fell asleep at
the wheel, they are just at a differnent wheel.  I have come back to
Debian for my home systems, after a tawdry affair with Mandrake, and
it's everything I need (almost).
The Slackware based live-cds are interesting as well, and I have just
tried out the live Kubuntu disc.

So Josh, you might want to show up at some of HOSEF's activities. We
have a workshop testing donated hardware and whatnot on Saturdays at
10am, at the McKinley School for Adults (just off Pensacola between King
and Kapiolani).  Our main focus, as Jim said, is putting Linux in
schools, but we have time to help people with linux in general and share
expertise, and your contribution would be welcome.  You can check out
HOSEF's web page at www.hosef.org.

--
James A. Stroble
Honolulu, Hawaii

-- The notion is bizarre that the United States would commit armed
forces to a mission and then worry more about force protection than
accomplishment of the mission.Yet that happens when the American public
doesn't really support its elected leaders' wars of choice.--

Critics on Iraq Policy Come Out of the Woodwork
by Ivan Eland   http://www.commondreams.org/views05/1025-21.htm