[LUAU] Hosef

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Tue Nov 8 21:03:02 PST 2005

2020 2020 wrote:

>I have been using Linux for about 11 months.  I have
>Ubuntu installed on my laptop, and also experiment
>with a variety of live CDs.  I am learning how to make
>my own live CDs at the moment.  (Knoppix, Puppy, and
>SLAX all have tools to make it easier.)  I enjoy using
>Linux and helping other people get started with Linux.
> I have another large shipment of Ubuntu disks on the
>way for distribution...
>
>Is this the local Linux users group?  Are there
>regular meetings?  I am interested in meeting other
>people who use Linux...
>
>Josh

Hi Josh,

HOSEF is the Hawaii Open Source Education Foundation.  Its goals are
largely centered around evangelizing OSS throughout the State of Hawaii,
with particular emphasis (currently, at least) on Hawaii's DOE and its
constituent schools.   HOSEF has installed several "labs" in various
schools around the island of Oahu.  (I don't know of any current HOSEF
installations on a neighbor island.)

LUAU (Linux Users AnonymoUs) is mostly (at this point) a mailing list
(hosted on HOSEF's server) for linux, free and open source advocacy in
Hawaii.  There used to be meetings, but these have largely died out.
(Much like many other Linux advocacy groups on the mainland and elsewhere.)

Ubuntu is a nice distro, its everything Debian should have been (and
more).   Too bad the Debian people fell asleep at the wheel.   There is
a lot of local advocacy for Fedora Core, due to some involvement in the
Fedora project by folks at UH.

HOSEF has experimented with using edubuntu <http://www.edubuntu.org/>,
but apparently there are ...issues.

You might be interested in the Cyberpizza events:
http://www.cyberpizzahawaii.com/upcoming.html

Are you living in the islands now?

Jim

Jim