[LUAU] RE: How do you delete over 500,000 files in a directory

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 14:35:02 PST 2005

Matt,
I think that error message is because there are too many "m*" files.  I
think it's possibly something to do with file handling limits.  Possibly.
I'd probably do this:
> cd [directory with 500,000 m* files]
> for FILES in `find -maxdepth 1 | grep '^./mgetty'`
> do
> rm -v $FILES
> done

What that will do is find and remove files which begin with mgetty one by
one, not as a wildcard removal.

If you're feeling hesitant, I'd back up the directory first if possible.
Then instead of using the line 'rm -v $FILES', do 'rm -iv $FILES'.  This
will give you an interactive removal which will prompt you before any
removal.

Later,
Julian
http://julianyap.com