[LUAU] How do you delete over 500,000 files in a directory

Jon Reynolds jonr at destar.net
Thu Nov 3 13:48:15 PST 2005

Matt Darnell wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> We have a box with over 500,000 files in a direcotry. If I try 'rm m*' I get
> an error, something like 'too many arguments'
>
> I think someone else in this situation had a method of switching to another
> shell, bash is default.
>
> All the files start with mgetty. I would like to prserve the other files in
> the directory and the directories below /var/log
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Aloha,
> Matt

 From the 'find' man page:

EXAMPLES
        find /tmp -name core -type f -print | xargs /bin/rm -f

        Find  files  named core in or below the directory /tmp and
delete them.
        Note that this will work incorrectly if there are  any
filenames  con-
        taining newlines, single or double quotes, or spaces.

        find /tmp -name core -type f -print0 | xargs -0 /bin/rm -f

        Find  files  named core in or below the directory /tmp and
delete them,
        processing filenames in such a way that file or  directory
names  con-
        taining  single or double quotes, spaces or newlines are
correctly han-
        dled.  The -name test comes before the -type test  in  order  to
  avoid
        having to call stat(2) on every file.

It is also in the xargs man page.

Jon