[LUAU] GRUB/OpenSolaris & Ubuntu UserGuide

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Tue May 24 10:25:53 PDT 2005

A friend of mine who works at Sun's Beijing lab sent me the following news:

"GRUB now available in OpenSolaris Nevada build 14"

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/GavinLu/20050523#opensolaris_uses_grub

At the present time, the installation routine for Solaris_x86 appears to
be in the stone age compared to Linux.  However, things are improving
right b4 our eyes.  How fast can OpenSolaris move?  No one can predict.
Just a year ago, has anyone heard about Ubuntu?  You might have,
somehow, but did you take it seriously?

According to the most recent survey, Ubuntu has become the No. 1 Linux
distro.  With the Debian/GNOME-based Ubuntu LiveCD, you can get a Linux
system up & running in a few minutes.  Thereafter, with the help of the
Ubuntu UserGuide, you can literally become an experienced Linux user
within weeks or even days.  No prior knowledge required.  This is one of
the best features of an open-sourced operating system.

Several Solaris developers are talking about putting together a LiveCD
for OpenSolaris after it comes out.  This will be very interesting.  Wayne