[LUAU] X problem

Al Plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Tue May 17 11:21:16 PDT 2005

pepe65 at hawaii.rr.com wrote:
> I am running SuSE 9.3 and I noticed that if I install something or do an
> program update, sometimes I lose the ability to start KDE, GNOME, etc...
> and I do not have any clue why (I haven't changed any display settings).
> Especially since the update/install is for some program that shouldn't
> be touching the setting for X (ie. Gnucash, DVDrip, etc..). When it
> happens, I can only get the xconsole login manager and GUI. I have tried
> restoring my original xorg.conf file, but I get the same problem. The
> only way I know of to resolve this is to do a re-install. Has this
> happened to anyone else? How did you fix this problem? What is causing it?
>
> Rodney Kanno

Aloha Rodney,

I had a similar problem with a Debian Sarge Box I built.
I edited the /etc/X11/default-display-manager file
and commented out this line which a downloaded update added.

#/usr/bin/gdm

and in /boot/grub/menu.1st
I added
init=/sbin/init3
This is used because Debian runlevels 2-5 are the same by default.

Then I could run the Gnome manager from the command line.

  I don't know SUSE, but you can probably do something similar to get
the   Gnome back.

Al Plant

  -- Webmaster- http://hawaiidakine.com Admin- http://freebsdinfo.org --
Supporting Open Source Computing - - FreeBSD 4.11/5.3/6.0 -- Debian Linux 3*
"All that's really worth doing is what we do for others."- Lewis Carroll