[LUAU] K12LTSP and VNC

Tom Gordon memeyou at memeyou.net
Sat Mar 19 14:20:47 PST 2005

Byron Kapali wrote:

> Aloha All,
> Im an new to the K12LTSP revolution but I am very familiar with VNC.
> I setup a mini K12LTSP lab in my library  with thin clients running
> out of eth1 and my internet connection out of eth0.  The problem I am
> having is that I have to run down to the library to everytime I want
> to do updates or just modify a few things on the K12LTSP server.  Is
> there a way to setup VNC server on K12LTSP such that I can login from
> my room and not have to run down to the library?  I can ping server's
> eth0 port so I'm assuming that I can establish a  VNC connection.  Any
> suggestions?
>
> Byron Kapali
> Hilo High School

log in as root from the thin client - or, from any location you have
decent bandwidth to the server - or just ssh to the box.  as far as
updates alone - just tell cron to yum -y upgrade every night and you'll
get a report in your mail if the root's mail alias is set up right.

VNC is ok, but - i'm not sure - if they support display managers and
that would mean the console has to be logged in all the time and would
be a complete waste of resources.