[LUAU] Re: Fedora & mythtv cpu load

Whoever Whatever totally.lost at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 00:56:00 PDT 2005

On 6/14/05, Eric Hattemer <hattenator at imapmail.org> wrote:

> let's call it "nice -n -15" to be perfectly clear.  But honestly, I

got it, thanks.

> Like I said, I never got around to ionice, but it looks like a great
> (and well overdue) concept.  It looked like 2.6.11.11 had an option for
> ionice, and I compiled it in, but I don't see it now, so maybe not.  I
> don't have an ionice binary, so I assume that this version is built into
> the nice syscall.  Maybe I just forgot what I saw.  It might be related
> to cfq.  Anyway, look at http://kerneltrap.org/node/4406/print .  You
> might consider changing the io scheduler http://kerneltrap.org/node/3851 .

I will do some rearch on that when I have time.

> Should be able to upgrade qt using yum, right?  Should only take a few
> minutes, I'd figure.  Then you can configure the mythtv sound the way
> you want it and feel comfortable that nothing has to do with some weird
> way that the atrpms stuff was compiled.

I did tried(urpmi, not yum) and found out I needed some other dep for
the upgrade, and don't want to break other stuff, oh.. forgot to
mention that I got a PVR500 about two weeks ago, Mandrake 9.2 freezed
when loading udev(I think that was it), so I decided to load new dist.
 Picked fedora basically I am getting lazy.  Well, with fedora, I only
can init one tuner on pvr500 and system crash(rebooted) after a few
minutes, complain about some address at 0x44, well I tired many
versions of ivtv, .2, .3.2, .3.4 and also tried daily release on .3.5,
gave up right before .3.6, it's still under devel I know they trying
to get it working, so I will let the PVR500 collect some dust on my
desk first. Anyway, I can say I am still happy with a pvr350 on the
master and a pvr250 on the slave.

> That's pretty hardcore.  You're right that it won't matter on the cpu,
> but it will matter on the disk.  All my normal recordings are 2200, and
> my cartoons and talk shows are 800 or so.  If you check top, or gkrellm,
> is your cpu usage iowait or user?  You might just be overloading the
> hard drive.  The main problem I always had with the compiling was that
> even at nice -19, it still brutalizes the hard drive, and things start
> to skip.  That's why I was always excited about ionice.  However, he
> specifically says that its a "proof of concept", so I suspect its not

I will nice things at different level next time to see how they
changes. I just tried to watch tv at 2200, I can see blocks, I can
tell the most when switching to a channel with some noise/snow, so
putting it back to 4500 made me happy.

Thanks again