[LUAU] solaris day

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Tue Jun 14 21:12:06 PDT 2005

> The CDDL is yet another reason why the OSI (started by Perens, Raymond and
> others to "re-brand" Free Software) was a really
> bad (and dangerous) idea.
>
> I complained to Larry Rosen (who approved CDDL as an OSI-compliant license)
> and others about this back at TPOSSCON.
>
> I'm concerned about "Free as in speech".  Its not clear that the CDDL permits
> software Freedom.

*shrug* They come in all flavors.  I don't mean to start a licensing
war, but all licenses have some restrictions or other (and hence
not strictly "free").  The only truely free IP is in the public domain.

I have my favorite and licenses I care less about.  I'm glad to see
sun grant access to their sources, no matter how you want to
categorize their license.  Would I want to use it in a product?
Probably not, but it will be useful the next time I need to know
EXACTLY how something works.

> Jim

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/