[LUAU] MythTV on Fedora

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Wed Jun 1 12:05:19 PDT 2005

Hi Jim,

Jim Thompson wrote:

> I've got a pair of (still unused) pcHDTV cards that are almost a year
> old now.   (Very little DTV on my side of the island, ok *NONE* that
> I can find.)

I think USB will be the future (in the sense that you can have a very
small box that does everything).  However, if you happen to be in town,
perhaps you can bring those pcHDTV cards to McKinley?  BTW, is your
house finished?  It's been a long while.  (I understand it is a big
mansion, when are you gonna invite us over for a party?  Just kidding.)

> I'd be interested in seeing how well a 1GHz VIA works with these,  A
> P4 would just be way too hot and noisy for the living room.

I used to consult on VIA during one of their early patent infringement
defenses against Intel.  VIA's next main push is on relatively "low
speed" (1.2 ~ 1.6 GHz), low power, low/no noise, relatively inexpensive
dual core processors with small L2 cache (256K), ideal for hign-end AV
applications.  Perhaps they will be willing to donate a few of their
single processor systems to help us build another (brand new) LTSP
project (& hope they will appreciate the free publicity).  This is
something I will be trying to work on during my next trip to Taiwan.  Wayne