[LUAU] goofy RAM question

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Fri Jul 29 01:03:30 PDT 2005

Which architecture ISO did you load (i386?  x86-64?  ia64?)
Hopefully you've loaded CentOs x86-64 4.1.

Under the 'x86' architecture (32 bit), the system can only address 4
GB of allocated memory. Allocated memory is made up of physical ram,
and any I/O space needed by devices.  The I/o space is allocated
starting at 4GB then working down.  One limitation is that the
boundry must be on a power of two, so you get 4 GB minus a power of
two big enough for the kernel-reserved I/O areas.

gonzo:~ jim$ echo "(2^32-(3504968*1024))/1024" | bc -l
689336.00000000000000000000

If you have loaded x86-64, then I have no idea what might be wrong.

If you loaded x86, then the fix is simple...  :-)

jim