[LUAU] goofy RAM question

Charles Lockhart lockhart at IfA.Hawaii.Edu
Thu Jul 28 18:56:15 PDT 2005

The question is probably goofy, not the ram.

I just installed 4GB of RAM on a Dell Precision 450 running CentOS4
(dual Xeon P4 workstation).  The BIOS reports seeing all of it, but when
I run "cat /proc/meminfo"  I see number that don't see quite right for
the MemTotal.  Is the OS really not seeing the RAM, or is is it just
listed differently?  I remember something about a kernel limitation at
around 4GB, and there was a special kernel for running with gt 4GB, but
now the threshold seems to be 16GB, it seems like 4GB wouldn't cause a
problem.

I got the memory from Kingston, via their RAM selector web interface
guide, so it's the right memory for the machine.  I just don't see why
it's not all showing up (my other Dell with FC2 on it and having 512MB
of RAM shows memtotal as 515372 kB, which while not exactly 512MB, seems
pretty close).

[sw at nsf2pc ~]$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      3504968 kB
MemFree:       3287304 kB