[LUAU] Intel Doubles Down on Linux

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon Jul 25 04:17:11 PDT 2005

On Jul 25, 2005, at 3:36 AM, James A. Stroble wrote:

> On 日, 2005-07-24 at 22:44, Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
>

>> James A. Stroble wrote:
>>

>>> So Wayne, I have to ask you what I have asked you in person, do
>>> you own
>>> stock in Sun?
>>>

>> Yes I do.  But they were bought before the bubble burst.  (Sold CISCO
>> and kept SUNW.  Just to let everyone know who smart I am.)  Wayne
>>

> Fair enough.  Maybe Jim's wife was smarter,

she's smarter than I am.  :-)

> I do like the ability of X to work over a network,

X doesn't have a monopoly here.   NeWS worked over the network, as
did Steve Uhler's MGR.  Y-Windows does as well.
The fundamental problem with X's notion of client/server is that the
proper division of labor between the client and the server can only
be decided on an application-by-application basis, and X doesn't
allow this.

> and to crash without taking out the OS.

Well, given DRI, even X can't honestly honor this request in the
presence of a driver bug, or having the DRI pipeline crash the card,
requiring a reboot (possibly via three-fingered salute) to fix.