[LUAU] my new linux box....

Ben Timmerman btimmerm at hawaii.edu
Wed Jul 6 09:01:57 PDT 2005

Dear Gang, As a result of my first volunteer gig for HOSEF a few weeks ago,
and this after lurking silently watching the list for many months, I was
given a homework assignment.  A p3 box with Windoz 2000 pro and an lcd
monitor.  I wasn't smart enough to walk away with a pc power cord at the
time so just got around to trying to boot the thing for the first time here
in the past week.

About the 2nd day of the effort, I actually got screen output and
momentarily ventured through some of the cmos setup screens.  But as of
yesterday, I'm back to no screen output and trying to interpret bios beep
error codes.  Thanks to the patience of my brother and him steering me to....

http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

...we think we've narrowed the problem area to the ram sticks.  Therez only
two of them and we've tried reseating, swapping, and using only one at a
time in either slot to no joy.  The day before when we momentarily got
screen output and access to cmos setup and actually to the w2k pro logon
screen; the moment we started to get beyond the beeps occurred while I was
jiggling the 40-pinner belt.  Subsequently, I've also reseated the various
40-pin belt connections and video card.  Try as I might, I can't repeat the
behavior, 'sidez I need to be able to expect something more dependable than
a jiggling act to make this thing work.

In preparation for eventual success in this effort, I've already obtained
the 4 "Fedora Core 4" iso images and have converted them to cdrz and got
the "rescuecd" as well.

One possible scenario will obviously have me packin' the box and lcd off to
the McKinley lab for one of the Saturday morning sessions and one of you
jedi guruz to make my day.  But perhaps one of you other list lurkerz has
the solution based on my symptoms and can effectively respond here.

Take me to the penguin!-Ben