[LUAU] Meetings for beginners

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Jan 13 02:07:23 PST 2005

Joseph Martel wrote:
> I have been trying to get information on a meeting somewhere for
> beginners. So far I want to avoid Samba. I am not interested in
> Networking with dozens of computers. I have two computers at present, (an
> ME and an XP) and I publish a monthly newsletter using Pagemaker and
> Photo Shop Elements. I use whatever spreadsheet program is available in
> the computer.
> Your e-mails have informed regularly regarding some high falutin names.
> Something about figuring a rocket to the moon. I am not interested. I am
> a beginner, like I was twenty years ago with PCs. A meeting somewhere of
> beginners? I keep getting routine answers, I just may hit a live person
> one of these days. I will keep on trying.

Sorry about the Rocket emails.  The conference is a lot less advanced
than you think.  We are all beginners.  It is made for people like
yourself.  Plus, it is a fundraiser for the organization that makes
things like this List possible, HOSEF.

http://www.hosef.org

We have events for you, and if these are not adequate then please
suggest other ways that you can be served.

One event just occurred tonight, and it takes place every Wednesday.  It
is called our Talk-Shop:

It is time for us to start talking about Linux and OSS for your
business, for your school, or for your charitable organization. We
understand that the first step for you may not be the computer lab, and
we are willing to meet you on less hostile grounds.

If you want hands-on interaction, then perhaps our weekly workshops are
more up your alley, though this Saturday's event is canceled to make
room for the Terpstra class:

Once a week we hold an open workshop to discuss and do all things Open
Source. It is a great time to come by and see our tri-boot lab, to
experiment with Linux, to get your questions answered, to do the work of
HOSEF, and to have fun. Please join us.

If you want to hit a live person, these places are far more effective
than LUAU.

>  Joseph Martel.

--scott