[LUAU] PTC Surfs with Linux

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Tue Jan 11 02:25:22 PST 2005

I think we all know by now that HOSEF is setting up the email cafe for
PTC.  This was the result of a meeting I had with their director, Sharon
Nakama, in which I approached them about co-promoting with TPOSSCON.  We
not only agreed to promote one another's events, but also accepted their
invitation to expose their delegates to Linux and OSS via the email garden.

The dish is to be 30 thin-client computers logging in to their email
exchange server by way of a web browser.  The user interface, so to
speak, will be a stripped down menu with a desktop icon called 'internet
email' that will default to the server.  The clients will auto-login,
and we will have our logo and that of TPOSSCON float as screen savers.

Ingredients:

1 Sun amd64 1u server, dual opteron, 10k scsi, 2gb ram, 4.1.1 k12ltsp
This has been graciously loaned to us by Commercial Data Systems
1 Xeon server, 4 gb ram, shipping Tuesday, from Steve Hargadon
2 Cisco Gigabit Switches, fiber cards included
These as well as the fiber nics have been kindly loaned by Brian Chee
36 PXE booting workstations, tested and ready at McKinley
35 17" Monitors.  These are likely at HCC.  Eric is counting, otherwise,
they are coming from the Campbell High storage
35 Keyboards.  These are at HCC.  Eric is checking them tomorrow
35 Mice.  These should be at HCC.  Eric is checking.  Could be a need
75 power cables.  At HCC preferably, but definitely at McKinley.
2 UPS's supplied via Ron Fox and Diagnostic Laboratory Services
30 cable runs already provided
X power strips, already provided.
PR material, printed and designed by LavaNet.

To Do

1. Accurately Inventory units at HCC - Eric is on this Tuesday
1.1 Power-on and test each monitor.
2. Set servers to auto-login.  Requires mac addresses of the clients.
3. Need to test on sample box, then configure at setup.
4. Configure random screen saver for clients.
5. Set default home page to the ptc Exchange Mail Server.

Needs

People to tend to the garden and insure that all is well.
2 walkie-talkies so that we can be called to the garden

Schedule

Friday

8:00 am Scott picks up Uhaul, goes to HCC
8:30 am Scott meets Ted and Calvin and ?
9:00 am Loading is finished, drive to Mckinley
9:30 am Arrive at McKinley.  Load remainder
10:30 am Leave McKinley for Hilton Hawai`ian
11:15 am Arrive, park, and start unloading
11:15 am Simultaneously set up servers, switches, and auto-login
2:00 pm Complete install and testing.  Begin Double-checking
3:00 pm Leave, return truck, Pick up John Terpstra at Airport

Saturday

8:00 am Drop off John Terpstra at McKinley.
12:00 pm Arrive and make sure the lab is up and ready
2:00 pm PTC begins.  Gaugue usability.  Scott and Paul.
6:00 pm Leave, pick up John Terpstra from Samba class

Sunday

8:00 am Arrive at Conference, and get planetPTC ready
9:00 am Tend to event while mingling about - Scott and ?
6:00 pm Opening night party.  HOSEF has passes.

Monday

7:45 am Drop off John Terpstra at McKinley
8:00 am Arrive at PlanetPTC and make sure all is okay:
9:00 am Tend to computers, mingle about.  Scott and ?
6:00 pm Leave

Tuesday

7:00 am Arrive at PlanetPTC and make sure that all is okay.
8:00 am Tend to computers, mingle about.  I need you.
6:00 pm Leave

Wednesday

7:00 am Arrive at PlanetPTC and make sure that all is okay.
8:00 am Tend to computers, mingle about.  I need you.
4:00 pm Hank arrives with truck.  Surveys breakdown.
6:00 pm Breakdown and loading of the truck begins.
9:00 pm truck and equipment is taken to ?

Where the stuff can go at 9pm remains to be seen.  I am not sure if we
can get into the room at HCC (best) or if we can take it to Campbell.  I
guess it could go to TPOSSCON.

It will not all fit at McKinley.

--scott

--