[LUAU] Multicast Video streaming for the Internet?

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Tue Feb 15 12:01:28 PST 2005

Aloha,

I am doing some research into setting up a 24x7 streaming video server
that can be accessed by anyone on the Internet.
The video stream will be live so it seems like multicast is the best
solution.
>From my research it seems like unicast streaming would take too much
bandwidth and be cost prohibative and since the stream is live a seperate
stream to each viewer isn't required.
So my question is how would I go about setting up a server to multicast a
video stream to anyone on the Internet?  I currently have Darwin streaming
server set-up and working, so I am more interested in the networking side
of things right now.
I think I would need the server on the Mbone?  How do you go about doing
this?
Does RoadRunner or other broadband providers pass multicast traffic from
mbone to users?
If anyone has any knowledge about multicast, mbone, or streaming video
that would be very helpful to me.

Mahalo,
Dusty