[LUAU] Installing Solaris 10: Step-by-Step Instructions

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Fri Aug 5 00:06:46 PDT 2005

Aloha all,

If you are interested in playing with Solaris, the following url
provides step-by-step instructions for installing Solaris-x86 10:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-0544/6mgbagb1b?a=view

Before installation, you probably should prep yourself with the right
answers to the questions that your will be asked:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-0544/6mgbagb12?a=view

Since last Nov (?) there have been over 2 million Solaris 10 downloads.
This should place Solaris among one of the top Linux distros.  (Sun has
changed its attitude; now, instead of going head to head against Linux,
they are humbly claiming that Solaris should be considered as the
equivalent of one of the Linux distros.)

If you are from the BSD background, you will probably find the Solaris
community very similar to those of BSD's.  Very professional, and more
CLI-centric.

I have installed Solaris 10 and Solaris Express (Solaris 11 beta) on a
number of Athlon64 machines, including a Turion64 notebook.  At the
present time, I am no better than a blind mouse.  However, as I posted
earlier, if you don't mind watching a blind mouse walks, or are kind
enough to show this blind mouse a trick or two, I will think of some way
to get together.  Wayne