[LUAU] OSS in our Airport and at other Businesses

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Sep 10 19:38:08 PDT 2004

Next time that you are in the airport, and you are there early, watch
them boot up one of the agriculture inspection machines from this company

http://www.smithsdetection.com/

The name on the side is Heimann Systems, and it is powered by some
distro of Linux.  I couldn't get close enough, legally, to see which.

This leads me to wonder, though, where in our business and government
communities OSS is in use these days.

Retail

We know that a lot of our local retailers use Point of Sale Systems that
run on Linux.

Web Services

We know that, if netcraft averages hold true, 70% of local sites are