[LUAU] Star Office vs Open Office?

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Tue Sep 7 12:19:29 PDT 2004

Since OpenOffice/StarOffice is a critical element determining the pace
at which Linux will be accepted by the mainstream public, this issue
deserves a further elaboration.

At the outset, I am sure most of us are aware that, for many open source
projects, the "name" itself is quite irrelevant unless you also mention
the version number.  For OpenOffice, there is a big jump in performance
between versions 1.0.2 and 1.0.3.  As I mentioned previously, StarOffice
7 is based on OOo 1.0.3; thus its performance should be acceptable.

Thus, your first step is to check the version of your OpenOffice.  If it
is older than 1.0.3, then upgrade to StarOffice 7 or OpenOffice 1.1.1.
(The most recent version of OOo is 1.1.2.  RedHat/Fedora makes it a true
international office suite.  I LOVE it, but if you don't have
multi-langual need, perhaps 1.1.1 is a more appropriate choice--the i18n
rpm of 1.1.2 is more than 500 MB.)

Then there is the issue of memory caching.   It used to take me almost
(or even over) two minutes to load OOo 1.0.2 (and longer for prior
versions).  With OOo 1.1.2 and with memory cach, it now loads in about
four seconds on my (now almost obsolete) Athlon XP 2500 machine.  (In
comparison, Microsoft Office loads in about one second on my XP-Pro,
same machine.  But when you realize that MS Office also takes less than
one second to "save" a 50 MB file, then for those with even the minimum
computer/science intelligence, perhaps this is too good to be
true--something is traveling faster than the speed of light.)

In running OOo or SO in a server (or even in a standalone desktop), it
is important to keep it in the memory for at least a certain period of
time after the last user exits the program.  By default, OOo will stay
in memory for 10 minutes after exiting.  There is a knob (Tool -> Option
-> Memory) you should turn it up to at least a couple of hours if
running the office suite is one of your key tasks.  wayne