[LUAU] Star Office vs Open Office?

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Sun Sep 5 02:48:24 PDT 2004

Wilson wrote:

>Which one is better? Also, in a LTSP situation would you see any benefits
>running Star vs Open Office?

I have OOo 1.1.2 installed in an LTSP pilot.  Because OOo can take a
long time to load (relative to Microsoft Office), running OOo in LTSP
actually makes you feel much better than running from a stand-alone desktop.

StarOffice 6 is a dog.  If my memory is correct, StarOffice 7 is based
on OOo 1.0.3, and there is a big difference even between 1.1.1 and
1.1.2.  StarOffice comes with a database program.  For inexperienced
users, Calc is more than adequate as a make-believe database program
(more people use Excel than Access to handle their data).  For
experienced users, the best option is to go with UNO/MySQL.

For me, my preference is OOo 1.1.2.  But for ordinary end-users who
would like to know what's going on and learn on his/her own, Sun
provides a fairly good user manual for StarOffice (which is not 100%
applicable to OpenOffice).

Thus, to your question of which one is better, techies definitely would
prefer the most recent version of OpenOffice.  OTOH, most end users
probably won't notice the difference after StarOffice 7.  But there are
intangible things, such as the availability of a user manual, which may
play an important role influencing the decision of a sysadm.  wayne