[LUAU] Automatic mounting of floppy and CDROM

David Imai dimai at email.com
Mon Oct 18 22:08:44 PDT 2004

I had given up on autofs, but since you said it should work I took another look and was able to get it working. The problem was in /etc/default/autofs. It contains a line that says AUTOFS_ENABLED=false. When I changed it to AUTOFS_ENABLED=true it worked. I don't know why it was set up like this. When you install something, shouldn't it be enabled by default? and if not, there should be clear instructions as to how to enable it.

This is the auto.misc file:
kernel		-ro					ftp.kernel.org:/pub/linux
boot		-fstype=ext2				:/dev/hda1
removable	-fstype=ext2,sync,nodev,nosuid		:/dev/hdd
cd		-fstype=iso9660,ro,sync,nodev,nosuid	:/dev/hdc
floppy		-fstype=auto,sync,nodev,nosuid,umask=002	:/dev/fd0

I'm trying to create symbolic links to /var/autofs/misc/floppy and /var/autofs/misc/cdrom. There are different files for the floppy drive, /floppy, /dev/floppy, /dev/fd0, /dev/fd. Where can I find more information about all these special files, and how KDE programs like Kword access the floppy and CD-ROM? Thanks for your help.