[LUAU] Automatic mounting of floppy and CDROM

Vince Hoang vince.hoang at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 08:28:32 PDT 2004

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:58:45 -1000, webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
<webmaster at hawaiidakine.com> wrote:
> David Imai wrote:
> > I am currently preparing a number of used computers for home users who are mostly beginners. Most of them are Pentium II with 128MB or less RAM and 4GB hard drives. The computers currently have Skolelinux Debian and KDE installed on them.

> > Installed autofs: "apt-get install autofs"
> > I did not recompile the kernel.
> > Restarted computer.
> > Looked at /proc/filesystems but autofs was not listed there.
> > Looked at /etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.misc. They seem OK.
> > Made symbolic links to /var/autofs/misc/floppy and /var/autofs/misc/cd: ln -s /var/autofs/misc/floppy /floppy
> > ln -s /var/autofs/misc/cd /cdrom
> > (I'm not sure if I did this correctly).

Looks right. The default Debian kernel and autofs packages just work
the way they should. I would be suprised if Skolelinux moved too far
away from that.

Send `grep cdrom /proc/ide/*/media` and `cat /etc/auto.misc`.

> I'm not sure about Linux but ...
> Under FreeBSD you can set the "noauto" to "auto" to mount under
> /etc/fstab file. Try this.

That option tells which filesystems should be mounted at startup, not
when the directory is accessed.

-Vince