[LUAU] Linux Administration Tool for Educational Institutions

Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Mon Nov 22 13:34:51 PST 2004

AFAIK, no such tool exists.  Supporting Windows workstations in a Domain
is probably best done with a Windows Server.

Tom

"Karotu Tannang" <karotu.kangare at tskl.net.ki>
Sent by: luau-bounces at lists.hosef.org
22/11/2004 10:16 AM
Please respond to
LUAU <luau at lists.hosef.org>

"Linux/Unix Advocates/Users Hawaiian community discussion list"
<luau at lists.hosef.org>
cc

Subject
[LUAU] Linux Administration Tool for Educational Institutions

Hello Everybody,

I have just completed setting up a Local Area Network for an Educational
Institute in Kiribati. Previously they used to use Windows NT as their
Domain Server. Now, we have managed to install a Debian Server running
Samba as their Domain without roaming profiles which runs smoothly.

The only problem now is that their Administrator requires a tool he could
use to easily manage his clients/students in a way that one manages its
clients on the NT Server.. i.e allocate times when to be allowed on the
Network, which users are allowed on which terminals, control over policy
(policy editor) e.g disabling features such as the 'Run' on the 'Start'
button.

If there is such a tool, I think this would save this Linux Box since the
Administrator really wants his NT Server back!

Thanks again..

Karotu Tannang
IT Support
Kangare Software Engineering