[LUAU] Fun With Cool Hardware

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Nov 19 20:22:58 PST 2004

At the next few workshops we are going to have some fun checking out,
benchmarking, and playing with one of the new Sun Opteron workstations.

http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/w1100z/index.xml

that has been graciously loaned to us from Commercial Data Systems

http://www.cdsinc.com/

courtesy of a friend to HOSEF, Joseph O.

It has been very informative to find out just how much CDS is doing in
the Open Source world.  One of their clients is Sandia National Labs

http://www.sandia.gov/

to whom CDS sells volumes of IBM's xseries servers running Linux.
Sandia clusters them and does the kind of things that a national lab
does with a cluster.

This is very impressive, and I was previously unaware of the kind of
national presence some of our IT firms had.  This is quite a success
story that should be inspirational to us all.

We are grateful that CDS will be providing the server that we will use
to power the thin-client labs at TPOSSCON, PTC, and the eSchool conferences

http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v20z/

that we will start checking out and testing in January.

Come by and see us and this very cool toy at McKinley from 2:30 to 5:00
tomorrow or in a few Saturdays.  Details and directions are on the website

http://www.hosef.org

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford