[LUAU] A CMS Question from the State

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Wed Nov 17 17:53:45 PST 2004

I received this question from a state contact in the DOE.  Anyone want
to offer their perspective?

I meant to discuss this when you come to do the server install but would
you be able to advise/recommend or give pros/cons in using the following
open source web portal/content management programs that you mentioned
(and/or any other ones)?

- Plone (what I'm using now)
- PostNuke
- PHPNuke
- Drupal
- Typo3 (you said this was more for advanced users w/ web programming
experience)

We have a project that is currently built on a commercial product called
"Empowerosity" (www.empowerosity.com) and am very dissatisfied with the
product/service and are looking for equivalent open source solution .
Our staff would like to find out which of the above solutions that you
mentioned would best meet the following requirements:

- Ability to customize Layout/Templates/Skins with minimal programming -
prefer to use something that is simple but allows some flexibility
without the need for an experienced web developer.
- Upload files (e.g. documents, graphics, PDFs, etc.)
- Ability to assign roles/privileges to users (e.g. Reviewers,
Approvers, etc.) who are posting web content.

In addition, we would like to know if you and/or the HOSEF organization
can provide training and support setting up which ever of the above
solutions we decide to use.