[LUAU] Re: Kernel panic?

David Imai dimai at email.com
Thu Nov 11 15:11:56 PST 2004

This could be a problem with the way the cable is hooked up. Here are things you can try.

When you turn on the computer, before lilo starts, you should see a message that says "Press F1 for setup" or something like that. Press the appropriate key and wait for the setup screen to appear. Then look for information about the hard drive.  If you don't see your hard drive, there is a hardware problem. Do this every time you change a drive or cable.

There is a jumper on the hard drive that can be set for Master, Slave or Cable Select. there might be a diagram on the hard drive that shows you how to set the jumper. If you have a cable select type cable, you have to put the jumper on Cable Select. If not, if you have only one drive on the cable it should be  on Master or Single. If you have two drives on the cable, one is master and the other is slave.

Check to see if the cable is plugged into the correct part of the motherboard and that it's facing the correct direction. You can also try a different cable.