[LUAU] Re: Ubuntu

Eric Jeschke eric at redskiesatnight.com
Wed Nov 3 22:49:50 PST 2004

Scott Belford wrote:
> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:09:13 -1000
> From: "R. Scott Belford" <scott at hosef.org>
> Subject: [LUAU] A New Distro
> Some of you may have heard of Ubuntu
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/
>
> Which has recently been added to our mirror. (thanks vince)
>
> ftp://hosef.ics.hawaii.edu/ubuntu-cd/releases/warty/release/
>
> I could send this to my Mom, and given all her computer problems, I just
> might.  Available on amd64, i386, and ppc, this gnome-based distro is
> very impressive.  If you've been wanting a fresh install, or if you know
> someone interested in committing hard drive space to Linux, this is a
> simple and solid distro.  It does everything well.
>
> --scott

Let me second that plug.  I've been searching for the perfect
Debian-based distro since the Red Hat fiasco, and I've finally found it
in Ubuntu!

- Debian/GNOME based
- Tight (locked down) security policy by default
- 1 CD installs a great desktop, tons more stuff is just an "apt-get" away
- Cool company ethos and mission statement
- Everything "just worked"

This is a great distro to install for a newbie.  If you are more of a
KDE fan, let me recommend MEPIS (also Debian-based).

Regards,
--Eric

--
Eric Jeschke