[LUAU] Mandrake 10.0 + Cosco 350 = 0

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Fri May 28 11:29:11 PDT 2004

tony clapes wrote:
> Aloha from another Linux-using lawyer.  AM running Mandrake 10.0.  On my
> IBM T20 laptop, I've had trouble with wireless internet access.
> Experienced similar problems with 9.2.
> During the install process, the network-install module does not see the
> Cisco 350 pcmcia wireless adapter.  Manual install does not succeed.
> Everything else seems to install ok.  After reboot, I see that the
> pcmcia service is running, but when I "enable pcmcia" from the KDE
> panel, the 350 is not recognized.  The lights on the adapter are off.

I am curious to know what modules are loaded.  As root, can you type
lsmod?  You should see airo and/or airo_cs.  Modprobe airo if you do not
see it.  Let us know the results of this step.

I have found a number of sites that deal with this.  It will work.  If
you don't want to mess with all this, bring it by the workshop at
McKinley on Saturday and we'll have a go at it.  See our calendar at

http://www.hosef.org

--scott

This guy seems to have wrestled with it.

http://www.kismetwireless.net/archive.php?mss:92:200203:iboooeilkanfpahfnnnh

Looking at Cisco's website,

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo_350/350cards/linux/instlcfg/icglchp3.htm

they appear to have a driver, configuration software, and
well-documented instructions for installing this card in Linux.  The
document seems dated, but the steps are solid.  If the modules for your
card are now part of the kernel, this step will not be needed.

According to this thread, they appear to be part of the kernel.

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200301/msg00000.html

These guys use it with Mandrake, and they did some cool stuff.

http://www.mrx.com.au/wireless/AironetModifications.htm

Star Log - January 2002:

Well at last we have our masts up and we have a permanent 11Mbps link.
We have installed Mandrake Linux onto laptops, and use these for the
Cisco Wavelan cards. The Laptops run the security and act as gateways to
the other computers on our network. Also now that we have seen some
heavy rain, we have proved that the link is stable in most weather
conditions (only fog to go... ). Signal strength varies from 56% to 48%
during the day, and I've seen it as low as 26% during a torrential
downpour. Link quality ranges from 92% to 98%. Pretty good results
considering we don't have line of sight and are transmitting with 100mW
of RF!