[LUAU] Fedora or Debian

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Thu May 27 13:21:30 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 07:52:03AM -1000, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> I would say that the conservative path would be to track
> stable. The FreeBSD team tests releases until they become
> stable. When a release reaches the point of production
> stability, in the opinion of the team, the name is changed to
> stable. What FreeBSD calls a release, Debian calls Testing.

Correction:

Before the 5.x tree, there existed two main trees, -STABLE and
-CURRENT; the prior was meant to to be the production branch,
containing only bugfixes, while the latter was intended as the
development branch.

With the 5.x tree, things changed.

The 4.x tree tracks the -STABLE code, which gets tagged around
every quarter as 4.x-RELEASE.

The 5.x tree tracks the -CURRENT code, which gets tagged
semi-regularly as 5.x-RELEASE.

When 5.x finally stabilizes enough, 5.x will fork a -STABLE
branch and 4.x will end-of-life.

-Vince