[LUAU] Fedora or Debian

Gary Dunn knowtree at aloha.com
Thu May 27 03:51:03 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 09:01, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> Richard wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to hear some technical advice on the
> > comparison of Fedora and Debian. If I want to mainly
> > run network applications, what package should I use?
> > GUI is not critical to me.
> >

> Both are community developed projects.  Each embodies the same
> philosophy of Open Source Development.  Comparing the two distributions
> requires the consideration of their respective release schedules.

[snip]

> The primary criticism of Debian Stable is that the packages are old.
> Most of these critics are incapable of stating the technical merits of
> the "newer" packages they profess to crave.  I prefer, for stability and
> reliability, to go with the least common denominator, so to speak.

How does Debian deal with security issues? For example, if Apache issues
a security alert and an upgrade to correct the vulnerability, how
quickly does Debian make the update available?

At work I run FreeBSD in a production environment. I used to follow the
conservative path and only run RELEASE, but I ran into problems where an
upgraded application from the ports collection would not compile due to
library mismatches. Now I track STABLE, and have had fewer problems.

In general, the need to react quickly to security updates has made the
job of upgrading at lot more of a challenge.

Gary Dunn