[LUAU] The file that would not die...

kilauea kilauea at hawaii.rr.com
Sat May 22 12:22:59 PDT 2004

Aloha to all from Kauai

I have a problem deleting a file. I play quake3 online and I think
someone has found an exploit in networked quake3. The first time this
happened, my game configuration file was deleted. Then today, the
configuration file was somehow modified to make it inaccessible even to
root! The game binary was also modified in this fashion. When I try to
do a chown, chgrp, ls, or rm, I get something like " rm: cannot remove
`pak0.pa3':  Permission denied ". I can move the directories but can't
delete the files. I have a reiser fs on Slackware. I also have RedHat on
another partition so I booted RedHat and mounted the Slackware
partition  but this produced the same result. I moved the inaccessible
files and restored the game files with no problems.  I would like to
just delete these files. Has anyone experience with this sort of problem?

Thanks
Kilauea