[luau] HP Athlon64 Notebook

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Wed Mar 17 07:59:01 PST 2004

Just got my HP zv5000 notebook (with Athlon64 3200) yesterday. I have
been playing with desktops/notebooks for two decades and I must say that
I have never seen anything like this. This is one heck of a machine.

B4 I wipe out the XP/Home from the hard disc (this is a vivid example of
the "Microsoft tax") and install Fedora Core, I tried the PCLinuxOS
preview5 LiveCD. Everything seems to be working out of box. More
importantly, ACPI seems to be working. LiveCDs are often one step ahead
of regular distros, and I am really curious whether Fedora also provides
the same ACPI capability.

I think I like Linux desktop better than WinXP. This is of course a
personal preference but Linux desktops have definitely gone a long way.

One thing I noticed is that, with WinXP, the machine can go to a
complete hibernation. At the present time, I am unable to do that in
Linux. I will play with this machine further when I get more time, but
any info will be greatly welcome. wayne