Subject: Re: [luau] vsftpd config help

Ben Beeson bwbees0 at charter.net
Thu Mar 11 21:14:01 PST 2004

Tom,

	Mahalos for your suggestions.   I checked all that -- no firewall here
(I'll switch the internal one back on after I get this working and tweak
the firewall to allow internal connections to ftp..), even lokkit is
open.  The vsftpd just acts weird.  I can log in as myself and it
correctly drops me into my home directory and  all is well. I can log in
anonymously, but here is the funny part .. all I can see is the /pub
listing. Here is what the session looks like:

 [ben at valinux ben]$ ftp localhost
Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
220 Aloha! E komo mai to blah FTP service.
Name (localhost:ben): anonymous
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful. Have fun.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (127,0,0,1,173,151)
150 Here comes the directory listing.
drwxr-xr-x    2 0        0            4096 Feb 28  2003 pub
226 Directory send OK.
ftp> cd pub
250 Directory successfully changed.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (127,0,0,1,66,98)
150 Here comes the directory listing.
226 Directory send OK.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (127,0,0,1,232,143)
150 Here comes the directory listing.
226 Directory send OK.
ftp> ls -R
227 Entering Passive Mode (127,0,0,1,32,108)
150 Here comes the directory listing.
226 Directory send OK.
ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.
[ben at valinux ben]$

	I still can't figure out why I can't see the directory contents of /pub
(there is a tree under /pub along with some files in the /pub
directory).

	My sense tells me that the vsftpd is working since I can log in as
myself and as anonymous, but for the life of me I can't figure out why I
can't see the contents of the /pub directory when I am anonymous.  It
won't even let me change to the other directories such as /pub/Photos
when I am anonymous....

	What should the directory ownership and file permissions for /pub be
set to?  (Right now it is root:ftp).

VR,

Ben