[luau] Newbie Query - Browser Plugin?

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Thu Mar 4 06:26:01 PST 2004

Ryan Kawailani Ozawa wrote:

>The thing is, clearly I've forgotten much of the basic concepts of Linux,
>and specifically, I just can't get the Macromedia Flash plugin to work in
>either Firefox or Konqueror.  The installer plops it in /home/user/.mozilla,
>and neither browser sees it.  I tried manually moving the files from
>.mozilla to /firefox/plugins, but that doesn't do the trick.  Any ideas?
>
>One thing I think I did wrong was installing Firefox under a user directory
>(/home/user/firefox) rather than in a... main directory.  Could that be the
>problem?  If so, though, I'd think at least the default Konqueror install
>would see the plugin files...

Please explain a little more about where you got both.  It sounds like
you got the zip file for firefox from mozilla.org?  And the macromedia
plugin, where did that come from?  You may want to see if there is an
rpm for each of those available from urpmi.  Let  us know if you need
help with urpmi.

Firefox should check two places for its plugins.  One is the directory
its installed to (usually /usr/lib/firefox, but in your case something
like ~/firefox).  Installing the plugins to ~/firefox/pluginsshould
usually fix that, I would think.  The other place it looks is
~/.phoenix/plugins.   That was the original original name.  See if
copying the files or making symlinks to there fixes the problem.  I
expect it would, but I'm not in front of a linux machine to see how
redhat did it for their fedora rpms.

>Many thanks in advance for your patience and insights!  And if this Mickey
>Mouse stuff is inappropriate for this list, let me know... and point me at a
>local Linux for Dummies group instead (if there is one!).

This stuff is absolutely appropriate for this list.  You happened upon
the list in a couple of weeks when the discussion was all fiber channel
and such, but usually there are plenty of questions like this one.  Some
linux groups are nasty about this kind of stuff (I'm not naming names,
though), but LUAU has always been supportive.  Generally all advanced
linux types do appreciate it if you show that you've done some work or
research beforehand.  But this list especially understands that knowing
where to do research may be the trickiest part for someone new to this
stuff.  If I find a good doc on mozilla.org I'll post that in a sec.

-Eric Hattemer