[luau] Newbie Query - Browser Plugin?

Wed Mar 3 21:05:00 PST 2004

Aloha!

After lurking for a week (hi Vince!), I realize this list is primarily for
power users, but I'm hoping you might tolerate a newbie question.

I'm trying to get back into Linux after several years out of the loop (RH6,
I think?).  To get a gentle start, I installed Mandrake Linux 9.2 on an old
Dell 4800.  Believe it or not, I got everything I wanted working, including
the NIC, sound, e-mail and web (I installed Firefox alongside Konqueror).
I'm thinking of turning it over to my daughter, age six, and giving her an
early start outside the M$ domain.

The thing is, clearly I've forgotten much of the basic concepts of Linux,
and specifically, I just can't get the Macromedia Flash plugin to work in
either Firefox or Konqueror.  The installer plops it in /home/user/.mozilla,
and neither browser sees it.  I tried manually moving the files from
.mozilla to /firefox/plugins, but that doesn't do the trick.  Any ideas?

One thing I think I did wrong was installing Firefox under a user directory
(/home/user/firefox) rather than in a... main directory.  Could that be the
problem?  If so, though, I'd think at least the default Konqueror install
would see the plugin files...

Many thanks in advance for your patience and insights!  And if this Mickey
Mouse stuff is inappropriate for this list, let me know... and point me at a
local Linux for Dummies group instead (if there is one!).

Ryan