[LUAU] Switchng B/t Languages

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Mon Jul 19 11:39:37 PDT 2004

"Does anyone know how I can switch to a different language environment
w/o first getting out of X? "

One of the easiest approaches is to write a simple script which would
look something like this (using Japanese locale as an example):

. . .
LC_ALL=ja_JP
XMODIFIERS=@im=kinput2
export LC_ALL XMODIFIERS
K=$(ps xa | grep kinput2 | grep -v grep)
[ "A$K" == "A" ] && exec kinput2 -win &
exec $*

Save this script as, say, /usr/bin/japan, do a chmod so it is
executable.  Next time I want to run, say, Mozilla in the Japan locale,
I simply type:

japan Mozilla

This script is necessary to switch from xcin (Chinese input) to kinput2
(Japanese input).  Iiimf was supposed to eliminate this need, but iiimf
is, at the present time, completely broken.  By using iiimf as its
default in FC2, Fedora is forcing everyone (those who are interested,
that is) to accelerate the development of iiimf, and this is one of the
reasons I feel obligated to stick with Fedora.

The above script does not change the page layout (i.e., the toolbar,
window tile, etc. are still in English). wayne