[LUAU] "Dropping" Modules (Was: Fedora Core 3)

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Thu Jul 15 11:14:27 PDT 2004

R. Scott Belford wrote:

> Go to Makiki Community library.  Observe the Mandrake 10 install to
> your right.  Observe the windows xp install to your left.  After
> Saturday, observe the two Mandrake installs and how users navigate a
> relatively new interface.
>
> What type of data would you like to collect?  We/HOSEF can definitely
> manage to survey a pretty wide range of users.  It would be good to
> gather that first reaction.
>
> --scott

Hi Scott:

Sorry that our messages crossed each other I did not see yours coming.
It is very encouraging to know that Makiki library is forwardlooking
enough to engage HOSEF's help in setting up Mandrake workstations.
Perhaps our library system is not as bad as I thought.

With regard to the issue of collecting user experiences, I am not
interested in surveying whether people like Linux or not.  I think we
have long past that stage now.  Many many years ago (b4 the turn of this
century), Ron (Willis) already set up a Mandrake lab at Atherton YMCA.
Of course many things have improved in Linux, but so has Windows.  And I
am more convinced than ever that, in order to make people feel more
comfortable about using Linux, "we" have to make Linux better.  At least
in certain critical areas.

This is what I meant by "collecting user experiences", i.e., finding out
where the problems are, then trying to solve them or, if it does not
appear feasible, documenting them so we can avoid them.  In other words,
I believe we should pay more attention to the "intellectual property"
part of open source equation.  If Linux is good enough, then there will
be no need for our pursuative efforts.  When we can make Linux more
acceptable to our target  users, then the fruit of our efforts becomes
an important piece of our intellectual asset.  Personally, I find Linux
attractive exactly because it does not come in a good enough state, but
can be flexibly customized.

With regard to the issue of Mandrake vis-a-vis Fedora, I have worked
Mandrake since its inception.  A year ago, for consumer desktops,
Mandrake certainly had the edge.  However, with the advancement of yum,
I don't think this is true any more.

Fedora, OTOH, has certain unique advantages when it comes to time to
plan adaptability by the business environment (alone with SuSE or SUN's
JavaDesktop).  For those of us from Hawaii, of course, Fedora has
another bonus.  With Mandrake, I am definitely nobody.  However, I can
always say that I know the person who started Fedora.  During my recent
trip to Taiwan/China, this simple self-promoting sentence made me feel
head and shoulders above everyone else.  Most of us probably don't care,
but I do.  Sure, I am hopelessly stupid, but who cares.

Just some thoughts.  I will visit Makiki library next week as you
suggested.  Thanks for your efforts.  I hope more Hawaii residents know
what you have been doing.  wayne