[LUAU] Does this shock you?

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Thu Jul 8 02:43:39 PDT 2004

> regsvc.exe
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.irc.cloner.html
>
> lsass.exe
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.b.worm.html
>
> csrss.exe
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.dalbug.worm.html
>
> smss.exe
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.dalbug.worm.html

the URL descriptions dont match these programs.  They're standard
windows services (registry, security subsystem, win32 subsystem,
session manager).

> If you are still wondering if Linux can replace Windows on the Desktop,
> I can assure that it can, it has, it does, and in cases like this, it
> must.  I'll be documenting this in a case study, but for now I had to
> share this horror with someone else.

I agree that linux can be an effective desktop in school settings.
I'm not sure I buy your argument though that virus infection is
a good reason to run linux.  From a pragmatic point of view it
is true -- viruses tend to target win32, and running something
other than win32 will reduce your exposure there.  From a technical
point of view though, there is no inherent technical advantage
here.

Linux systems do have flaws as well, and they may well be
exploited to your detriment, although most likely not by
a virus or worm.  If the system is operated properly, most
users will be using low-privilege accounts and the entire
system wont be at risk.  The same holds true for win32.  If
they run windows xp, 2000 or 2k3 and disallow the average
user from logging in as the administrator, the system will
be much less vulnerable and more manageable.

> --scott

Tim N.