[LUAU] SATA hot swap - off topic

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Jul 7 15:31:19 PDT 2004

Vince Hoang wrote:

>>MonMotha wrote:
>>
>>>This is mostly useful on RAID arrays though.  See the raidhotadd and
>>>raidhotremove (or is it raidhotdel?) commands.
>

> I believe this only tickles the md driver and not the bus.

Indeed it does.  I was mostly giving an example of a practical use for
all this hotswap stuff.

hdparm -x will tristate the bus, allowing safe hotswap if the controller
and drive support it (and I'm told all SATA devices are supposed to).
In general, Linux doesn't really care much about hardware suddenly
disappearing (though it will usually whine a bit), though it might not
always see it when it reappears.

hdparm -R to register the IDE device and hdparm -U to unregister it
might find some use if this "problem" occurs.  Make darn sure you've got
it unmounted (and, if it's in a RAID array, it's a good idea to
hotremove it, though being RAID, this is not strictly required, first)
before you do this, or you WILL end up with a dirty filesystem, and the
fs layer of the kernel might not immediatley notice and may even try to
continue writing to the (now nonexistant) device.  That's a bad thing :)

I know hdparm -R, -U, and -x can be used to swap "bay" devices on IBM
Thinkpads.

--MonMotha