[LUAU] SATA hot swap - off topic

Vince Hoang vince.hoang at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 14:34:02 PDT 2004

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 00:19:54 -1000, Jeff Mings <jeffm at lava.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion.  What I'd really like to be able to do is
> just switch out backup hard drives once a month.  The goal is simple
> data redundancy, not hardware fail-over.  I'm planning on colocating a
> server, and I was hoping I could just umount /dev/whichever ,  unlock a
> drive tray, and reverse the process for a different drive.  It just
> sounds too easy, though.

You can use hdparm to quiesce the bus. Your version of hdparm support
hotswap, but no guarentees if your kernel does.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-March/msg01204.html

Even if it does work for your kernel, I have to advise against your
approach, because hotswap != removable storage. If you have wiggle
room in the colo space, give firewire a fair chance.

> MonMotha wrote:
> > This is mostly useful on RAID arrays though.  See the raidhotadd and
> > raidhotremove (or is it raidhotdel?) commands.

I believe this only tickles the md driver and not the bus.

-Vince