[luau] upgrading

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Sat Jan 24 07:07:01 PST 2004

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 12:22:06AM -1000, Gary Dunn wrote:
> Suppose Andrew (the original poster) wants to try Debian,
> Mandrake, and Fedora. Can he create one partition for home and
> use that with whichever distro he boots?

Andrew can easily share /home and swap.

> > ftp://hosef.ics.hawaii.edu/IMAGES/ has a ton of ISOs.
>
> To me this is not an either/or. Wherever the ISO files are
> hosted, they need to be downloaded and burned. I know that
> FreeBSD can be installed via an Internet connection, after
> booting from a pair of diskettes. I think Gentoo does something
> similar. Do other distros offer this method?

Starting out with full ISO sets for a distribution just easier.
However, there are options when you want to avoid downloading
1.5GB or more.

Scott stresses the importance of ISOs, and I grudgingly concur.
However, you can use floppies and mini-CDs to bootstrap a network
install. If you have PXE, it can be a pure network install. This
is why that directory is named IMAGES and not ISO.

To find the non-full ISOs, search any combination of .img or
initrd. In fact the IMAGES directory is created by searching for
directories containing files named with /(img|initrd|iso)/.

-Vince