[luau] upgrading

Casey Roberts utexan01 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 06:14:00 PST 2004

--- Gary Dunn <knowtree at aloha.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:31:58 -1000
> Vince Hoang <luau at ml.altern8.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 06:55:56PM -1000, Andrew
> Keyes wrote:
> > > I have a four year old 550MHz machine which had
> a 10GB hard drive.  I
> > > just purchased a new 80GB drive and am looking
> for recommendations on
> > > how to make the most of it.
> >
> > Slice it up into many partitions to make room for
> all the
> > distributions you are going to try.
>
> Suppose Andrew (the original poster) wants to try
> Debian, Mandrake, and
> Fedora. Can he create one partition for home and use
> that with whichever
> distro he boots?

I have personally performed a re-install on a
previously partitioned disk using Mandrake and Red
Hat.  Essentially, you can link /home to what ever
partition you have designated using fdisk in another
OS (whether it's linux, windows, etc.)  As long as the
filesystem is compatible to read/write between the
different operating systems, the difficult part is
figuring out which partition you have designated.  I
personally prefer to write down a simple partition
table, listing which partitions I have designated in
previous distributions, and the space allocated to
each partition.  This table, and a copy of the root
password and lilo password, should fit well on an
index card, which I tape down on the side panel of the
case.  Remember, there truly is no way you can
document too much information during a clean install.

> > > Secondly should I download and make some CDs
> first and then do
> > > an install, are the CD images on the videl
> server somewhere?
> >
> > ftp://hosef.ics.hawaii.edu/IMAGES/ has a ton of
> ISOs.
>
> To me this is not an either/or. Wherever the ISO
> files are hosted, they
> need to be downloaded and burned. I know that
> FreeBSD can be installed via
> an Internet connection, after booting from a pair of
> diskettes. I think
> Gentoo does something similar. Do other distros
> offer this method?

The last I heard was that only way you can perform a
SuSE install without buying the installation disks was
to perform a FTP install, after you download a net
installer.  I do know that the last time I went to the
Debian site they mentioned that a net installer was
being developed for sarge.  Has anyone heard an update
on this?

Casey Roberts