[luau] upgrading

Gary Dunn knowtree at aloha.com
Sat Jan 24 00:20:01 PST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:31:58 -1000
Vince Hoang <luau at ml.altern8.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 06:55:56PM -1000, Andrew Keyes wrote:
> > I have a four year old 550MHz machine which had a 10GB hard drive.  I
> > just purchased a new 80GB drive and am looking for recommendations on
> > how to make the most of it.
>
> Slice it up into many partitions to make room for all the
> distributions you are going to try.

Suppose Andrew (the original poster) wants to try Debian, Mandrake, and
Fedora. Can he create one partition for home and use that with whichever
distro he boots?

> > Secondly should I download and make some CDs first and then do
> > an install, are the CD images on the videl server somewhere?
>
> ftp://hosef.ics.hawaii.edu/IMAGES/ has a ton of ISOs.

To me this is not an either/or. Wherever the ISO files are hosted, they
need to be downloaded and burned. I know that FreeBSD can be installed via
an Internet connection, after booting from a pair of diskettes. I think
Gentoo does something similar. Do other distros offer this method?

--