[luau] upgrading

Andrew Keyes ark at speakeasy.org
Fri Jan 23 16:54:00 PST 2004

  I have a four year old 550MHz machine which had a 10GB hard drive.  I
just purchased a new 80GB drive and am looking for recommendations on
how to make the most of it.  I have RedHat but having used a Debian
system this summer I found apt-get a lot more effective and fun than
rpmfind etc.   I've used Unix boxes for a long time so I feel
comfortable using Debian but have never used Mandrake which people on
the list seem to like.  I'm looking for a distro that's easy to
maintain, easy to upgrade and people make lots of packages for, which
might be better?
  Secondly should I download and make some CDs first and then do an
install, are the CD images on the videl server somewhere?  Or as was
noted once, I'm Speakeasy member and they have a great site which helped
me a bit, although it doesn't seem like paying them $10 a month gets me
any special download priveleges.  I also need Windows as well, and so
was wondering for GRUB is still the best boot manger for a dual or
triple boot system.  Finally I was wondering about making extended
partitions,  does linux care if the swap partition is a main partition
or extended? what about other partitions?
  If Warren or who ever runs the luau site is interested I can take the
answers and make an HTML page to post on this sort of decision making.

Thanks,
Andrew
Consultant (ie looking for work)